How to Make Your Own Patio Furniture Cushions
9 months ago admin Comments Off on How to Make Your Own Patio Furniture Cushions
If you have visited a few showrooms looking for affordable patio furniture, then you’ve probably seen just how nice they look with outdoor cushions. The good news is if you’re on a budget, you don’t have to buy new cushions. You can make them yourself and, as you’ll soon find out in this guide, it’s not hard at all.
Here are the things you’ll need:
– outdoor fabric
– outdoor cushion filling
-sewing machine (or a good ol’ needle and thread )
Here are the steps I followed when making cushions for our own patio furniture.
- First, take measurements. Measure the depth and width of each patio seat. This is to determine how large the cushions need to be. You’ll need to figure out the dimensions of the fabric for the cushion panels. Take the depth and width measurements and then add an inch to each one, for seam allowance. These are for the bottom and top cushion panels.
- To determine the length of the side panel, simply add the original measurements (this excludes seam allowance) of all four sides of the big panel. Then add an inch onto this number for the seam allowance. The highest side panel height is the height of the cushion filling plus the one inch seam allowance. Cut the bottom, top and side panels based on these dimensions.
- Now, you’ll begin making your cushions. Using a pair of fabric scissors, round the edges of your fabric on the two big panels. Then connect the long side panel strip, and create a single continuous loop around the cushion’s edge. Fold the panel in half and sew half an inch from the edge to connect both ends. Then line up the side panel loop’s edge with that of the top panel and then using a sewing pin, keep them in place.
- Add V-shaped notches on every corner to make them easier to sew. With a sewing machine, sew all the way leaving half an inch for seam allowance.
- Then pin the side panel to the bottom panel in the same way you worked on the top panel then make notches on each corner.
- Prior to sewing all the way to the bottom panel, place a zipper on one edge. The zipper’s face should be placed downwards onto the fabric’s right size. Pin it in place and install the zipper about half an inch from the edge. Make sure to use a zipper foot on your sewing machine to sew it in place.
- Do the same process for the other side of the zipper and then sew all the way to the bottom panel. You start at the zipper’s end and stop at the zipper’s starting point. Leave the zipper a few inches prior to sewing all the way. Flip your cushion cover right side out.
- Now it’s time to add the filling. Using a marker and ruler, you need to measure the cushion filling’s width. You can also use several pieces to fill the entire length of the cushion.
Having outdoor cushions for your patio furniture will certainly add to its appeal. Even if you get cheap furniture, with beautiful-looking cushions no one will ever know!